Walk Against Want
Thousands of people all over Australia have participated in Walk Against Want since it began in 1967.
Organised by some of Oxfam’s incredible volunteers, the walks are diverse and can range from 5km to 45km in distance.
Walk Against Want originally began to raise awareness for women living in poverty who walk long distances each day to collect clean water. It has since become one of our most successful fundraising events.
Take your first steps against poverty and injustice
1. Find an event in your area via our event calendar.
2. Start fundraising with your own My Oxfam page
Once you’ve registered to join an event, our online fundraising system MyOxfam will help you raise funds easily.
- Register your MyOxfam page. Go to MyOxfam (or click on the start today button below) and register using your email address. You’ll be prompted through the registration steps and will receive a confirmation email.
- Upload a photo. Make it personal for your supporters. Upload a photo of yourself, your team, or your organisation. Don’t be afraid to show a little personality!
- Share your story. Inspire others to give by sharing why Walk Against Want is important to you. Let your supporters know their donation will go towards people living in poverty around the world.
- Spread the word. Share your MyOxfam URL on social media, add it to your email signature and reach out to your networks. You never know who will connect with your cause.
3. Get walking. Stretch your muscles, get outdoors and enjoy your event! Your efforts are contributing to Oxfam’s life-changing development work.
If you, your group or organisation would like to hold a walk, please email us or call 1800 088 110 for a Walk Against Want application and toolkit.
Walk Against Want is a great way for schools or events students to run a successful event that benefits their studies and helps people living in poverty. Visit the Walk Against Want education page for more information.