Our strategic direction
Planning and prioritising
Our Strategic Plan, The Power of People Against Poverty, reflects our priority to build equality among people in order to eliminate poverty and gives our work — from the beginning of 2014 through to the end of 2019 — a clear focus.
Our operational plans specify outputs and key performance indicators, which enables us to prioritise objectives and activities so that they align with the Strategic Plan.
We make adjustments to the plans when necessary, according to changes in the external environment. For example, as a result of the global financial crisis, we adjusted our priorities in order to protect income, reduce costs and invest in research to understand the impact of the crisis on people living in poverty. Similarly, major disasters such as the Haiti earthquake can lead to redeployment of staff and resources to respond.
Mid-term review planned for 2016
In 2016, we will conduct a review of our Strategic Plan that will include an analysis of any external circumstances that have changed, and what we have learnt during the first three years of implementing the plan. As a result of conducting the review, we will be able to:
- assess our progress towards achieving the six goals to change the world
- identify the extent to which we have achieved the six goals to change how we work
- identify how effectively we have responded to external circumstances that have changed since we developed the plan
- determine whether we need to revise our implementation of the plan
- assess the ongoing suitability of our organisational direction and our strategic plan.
The review process will include:
- studies conducted by independent researchers, which will include feedback from people and communities whose lives we aim to change
- internal reflection of the implementation and outcomes of specific programs
- surveys completed by staff, volunteers, members, state committees, partners and supporters
- reviews of external debates, articles and papers.
End review planned for 2019
During 2019, as we begin to develop our strategic planning for the next period, we will conduct an end review that will assess how well we implemented the Strategic Plan, and where we could have done better. This review will help us refine the next Strategic Plan.
Findings and recommendations of both reviews
The findings and recommendations of each review will be available on this website.
Read an overview of our Strategic Plan, which will guide our work until the end of 2019.
Download our 2014-2019 Strategic Plan.