What can we do to improve food security?
There are many things young people can do, either as an individual, a class, a school or as a family member, help to improve food security for others in Australia and overseas.
How can you make a difference? Who can you contact to make your ideas heard and promoted? Should you use social media? What power can letters have, and who would you send them to? Are songs and videos the best way?
Work in small groups to come up with a food security campaign at each of the following scales:
- International campaigns
- National campaigns
- Local action
A number of ideas and links have been provided for you below, which looks at ways everyday people can create change. Look through these sites for your ideas, and decide what way you or your group think could make the most positive difference about food security.
Share your ideas with your class.
Some ideas for possible action
- Climate change action: see this “Getting Smart on Climate Change” pocket booklet to share with friends, be part of an online community “A Climate for Change” or become a UN Climate Tracker
- Add your 3 things to change the world and tap into loads of ideas and resource at 3things.org.au
- Get involved in the Land grab campaign
- Watch the Coldplay and land grab video
- Watch the Grow Campaign video
- Be a #FoodHero
- Checkout the Foodbank
- Read up on the 3things fair trade action guide
- Check out Oxfam Unwrapped
- Save food waste from supermarkets and restaurants via Second Bite or Good Food
- Use surplus foods