Volunteer with us
Volunteers form the backbone of our organisation and an integral part of our history, going back to when Community Aid Abroad was founded by Father Gerard Kennedy Tucker in 1953. Thanks to the efforts, passion, and dedication of over 850 volunteers and interns, more than 25,000 hours were contributed in 2022, how good!
You can volunteer in a range of areas including research, editing, events, finance, and human resources… just to name a few! You can also sign up to volunteer at Oxfam Trailwalker in Melbourne or in the community as part of an Oxfam group.
- You’ll be doing something you’re passionate about.
- You could learn new skills, or add to the ones you already have.
- You could meet like-minded people, from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn, network and find mentors in the not-for-profit industry.
- You’re working towards a just world without poverty.
But don’t just listen to us. Find out first-hand from Oxfam volunteers.
The value of volunteering with Oxfam:
How you can volunteer
- In the office: Volunteering in the office gets you up close and personal with Oxfam’s work. You could be chatting to supporters, researching our programs or assisting our campaigns team.
- With Oxfam Trailwalker: Oxfam Trailwalker is a national outdoor fundraising event. Each event weekend is staffed by hundreds of volunteers.
- In an Oxfam group: Join an Oxfam group and meet people with a common interest in social justice and sustainable development.
Who can volunteer?
Anyone 18 years or older can register to volunteer. Special consideration may be made for volunteers aged between 16-18 years. Please contact us.
Internship placements at Oxfam Australia are a fantastic opportunity for students to gain valuable experience in the sector while gaining accreditation towards the completion of relevant studies.
Working with volunteers
Equal employment opportunity and diversity
We are committed to ensuring individuals are treated consistently and equitably irrespective of their gender, ethnicity, political, religious or philosophical allegiance, physical ability, family status, age or sexual orientation. Operating within a diverse national and international community, we are committed to developing policies, practices and ways of working that support diversity (PDF, 37KB).
Child safe employer
We are committed to protecting the rights of all children to live safely, without fear of abuse or exploitation – for more information please read our Child Safeguarding Code of Conduct.
Read more about how Oxfam supports our volunteers.
Our Vision for Volunteering
We aspire to be an inclusive, innovative, and agile organisation for people to contribute their time and skills through volunteering. We aim to foster a place of welcoming where people can bring their best and authentic selves and enable an environment where people can volunteer in a way that is flexible and convenient.
Find out more about our vision for volunteering below:
Volunteer Impact Reports
Volunteers at Oxfam Australia contribute significantly to the successful operation of the organisation. In these reports, you’ll learn more about our volunteers and the impact of their contributions.
- January – December 2022
- July – December 2021
- January – June 2021
- July – December 2020
- April – June 2020
- January – March 2020
- October – December 2019
- July – September 2019