Oxfam Australia is part of an international confederation working with people all around the world to achieve justice.
In Australia we are working towards a world in which all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People’s human rights are respected and realised including having the power and capacity to determine their own strong, proud and healthy lives, and all Australians recognise and celebrate the unique cultural identities and contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
We work alongside Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and their organisations to develop solutions and innovative answers to the issues that they believe are the most important. Oxfam has supported Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander self-determination – individuals and communities – for about 40 years. Oxfam Australia works in the areas of Indigenous women’s political leadership, with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people through the Wylak program, as well as in advocacy for policy and practice change.
We’re a founding member of the Close the Gap and Change the Record coalitions, which are Indigenous-led groups dedicated to improving health and justice outcomes for First Peoples. Launched in 2007, Close the Gap has had a real impact on the political process, but there is more work to be done.
Our Straight Talk program shows how we work in partnership to develop the political leadership of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.
For over a decade, Straight Talk has brought together more than 650 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women from across the nation to Canberra and to regions throughout the country to learn about Australia’s political system and to form powerful networks with each other and with women of Federal and State Parliament. Straight Talk has partnered with local Indigenous organisations to deliver regional gatherings in Alice Springs, Nhulunbuy, Cairns, Perth, Melbourne, the Torres Strait and Broome.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples should be aware that the following pages may contain images or names of people who have since passed away.
Find out more:
- Oxfam’s report In good hands: the people and communities behind Indigenous-led solutions presents evidence from around Australia showing how empowered Indigenous communities are delivering results. It tells the story of the unsung heroes who are overcoming Indigenous disadvantage.
- Learn about the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Program.
- Join Close the Gap: Australia’s largest campaign to improve Indigenous health equality
- Learn about Straight Talk, and how it’s giving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women the opportunity to engage with the political sphere, and learn skills for improved leadership and decision-making
- Read our report on Indigenous rights, Moving beyond recognition: respecting the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Read about the individuals, communities and organisations who are contributing to remarkable solutions facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
Our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategic Plan outlines Oxfam’s vision, pathways and initiatives towards supporting self-determination for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
Donate for First Peoples justice
Together we can support community-led health and wellbeing initiatives, and work to advance First Peoples’ human and cultural rights.