Australia is a rich first-world nation with a struggling second class. Our First Nation’s people represent one of the most impoverished and disadvantaged communities in the world.
We’re working hand-in-hand with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to develop solutions and innovative answers to the problems they face. We’ve assisted with the self-determination of individuals and communities for more than 30 years — we do this by making sure individuals and communities can improve their own social, cultural and physical well-being in the ways that they identify.
Oxfam Australia works across the areas of leadership and health, advocacy for policy and practice change, coalitions and campaigns, and active support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander self-determination and justice in the broader Australian community.
We deliver some programs directly, but most importantly work in partnership with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owned organisations across the country. We believe that each and every Australian has the right to equal access to health, income, employment, education, and the chance to live a meaningful and positive life.
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategic Plan outlines Oxfam’s vision, pathways and initiatives towards supporting self-determination for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples should be aware that the following pages may contain images or names of people who have since passed away.
Find out more:
- Peruse the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Program.
- Join Close the Gap: Australia’s largest campaign to improve Indigenous health equality
- Discover ChangeCourse: a program designed to engage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youths and their communities
- Learn about Straight Talk, a program which is giving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women the opportunity to engage with the political sphere, and learn skills for improved leadership and decision-making
- Read about the individuals, communities and organisations who are contributing to remarkable solutions facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.